Tuesday, August 2, 2011

August 2, 2011

The "Raid" has been sprayed and now it is my turn to see if I can withstand the toxins of truth or not. Grandson spoke about the minority of white students we will have in our urban classes who may eventually explode due to an overwhelming focus on race, oppression, and themes of inequality from within the classroom. As teachers how do we circumvent these explosions while allowing students to express their frustrations in healthy and safe ways?

In all honesty, today's focus on race and role models left me a bit frustrated and conflicted. Growing up as a gay male I found it difficult to relate with people who looked like me. Instead, I looked up to people of color and women for inspiration and leadership, for one reason or another I felt as though they understood me more than my own kind. Additionally, I cannot seem to readily think of a homosexual in society that I consider a role model. Call it white privilege but I have never been too concerned with the physical appearance of those whom I admired. Why then, do we have to put such an emphasis on color when speaking of role models?

As a white teacher in an urban setting should I surrender any hope of being a role model to a student of color? Is our skin pigmentation too much of a barrier for us to cross? Perhaps I cannot understand this cultural role model idea because I lack any type cultural community. What group do I belong to? Italian Americans? Irish Americans? Homosexuals? I don't fully feel as though any of these identities make up my "culture" and encompass me in their community. Even within Delpit's text she places such an emphasis on this color line and silenced dialogue from within the school system. Speaking as a white male, I feel as though I am forced to constantly be affirming my integrity in the classroom by saying "Yes, that is a white trend, but I'm not like THEM."

(Without sounding like David Christensen)When can we start talking about people interacting with other people? Why does there have to be a racial wall standing in the way of human interaction? Why do some people cringe when hearing that a white person, like myself, could possibly be a role model for a student of color? Please do not read into this statement any lack of understanding or ignorance, for I am keenly aware of the effects of racism, both institutionalized and ideological, in our society. But I am getting tired of hearing about all the ways in which I will or will not be able to relate, understand, or even be a role model to my students because of my color. I guess the "Raid" worked and here I am gasping for air.

On another note, thank you to everyone in my group (and Chuks) for sharing their wonderful presentations. They were brave and powerful and I am learning more from you all than I learned in the last 8 semesters in NH. As the final week of the Summer Session approaches I cannot believe how quickly I came to feel like a part of the Donovan Community. So thank you all for being so friendly, compassionate, and welcoming. As the Fall craziness ensues I only hope we will all be able to maintain this sense of community and unity!

5 comments:

  1. thanks brad for this post. i really appreciate your honesty in writing, as i feel we are pushing beyond the surface with the concerns you bring up. going beyond the surface is also one of the goals we had as a cohort and felt would be difficult and would need to create a safe space to do.

    if i hear you correctly, i just want to acknowledge what you said: that you are frustrated as a white male that you are being told that you will not be able to be a role model/understand your students of color. also because of being gay, you also did not turn to white role models but felt more connected to women and people of color. you also ask the question: when can we start talking about people interacting with other people?

    i'm glad you bring up these points, because as i've said, i want to hear from my white peers about they're views in processing these issues.

    i hear what you are saying that it should not only be people of color being role models to people of color. if you're not saying that then i can relate to that statement. people of color should not be the only role models for people of color. at the same time, because of not only the history of perceived inferiority but also the small lack of positive role models of people of color to relate to, having those people of color role models is that more significant and important. it doesn't negate the fact that white people can be role models, but it does acknowledge the need for people of color role models.

    when a kid in middle school meets a black lawyer for the first time, it says volumes. the images of representation send messages to students about what they can be and what they can do.

    i think what i find most appreciate in white role models and white people who are conscious of their white privilege and their benefits to racism and wanting to educate their peers on the issue IS THEIR ABILITY TO RELATE TO PEOPLE OF COLOR. like you say, after all, we ARE PEOPLE. we can relate on a number of levels: sports, love, interests, hobbies, other forms of discrimination, feeling of an outsider, geography, talents, books, education, etc. when white people acknowledge racism, realize they're not perfect just as we and want to relate to people of color, they do by simply being sincere, open, relaxed, themselves. people. human.

    actually, i think the idea that white people can't relate to people of color promotes and maintains the idea that we ARE so different from each other. it maintains the idea that there is some truth to racism and races, that there is some validity. it also seems like a cop-out. an excuse. i'm not someone with a disability, but as a person, i try to relate to people with disabilities. i realize my limitations but i also acknowledge that in order for me to understand, i have to relate. it's why we have allegories, and similes, and metaphors, and analogies in the English language. it's why jesus spoke in parables. i take their experience and relate it to mine. not in a patronizing, i have pity for you. but in a i can relate to you way.

    it's the human experience. we are not islands. we need each other. we are connected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, please give me the same grace if i said anything offensive.

    question for you, brad: can you expound upon what you mean with the question, "can we start talking about people interacting with people?" what do you mean? what would the conversation look like per se?

    nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nathalie,
    Yes, I certainly understand the power that can spring from a student of color seeing a fellow adult of color in an admirable position. This dynamic inspires hope and empowerment and promotes the child to think, "If he/she can do it, I can do it too." So I am in full agreement of your point. However, I guess I was frustrated with the emphasis that was being put on color in relation to role models. I think it would be best we discuss this in person so that we can better articulate ourselves and communicate clearly. But thanks for your post and I look forward to learning from you and others from continued dialogue about these essential topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a white male I believe it is similar to going up an escalator that is going down. I believe that anyone, I do not care what race, is most successful when they are invested and part of the community. What image does it have for anyone to only be in the community for work and then drives off to a different community? As a teacher we are role models, plan and simple. Therefore students need to see that there are many aspects to our lives, that we succeed, that we struggle, that we go shopping and don't live at school. It is about enriching the community by not only your words in class but your actions in the community. We most all remember our privilege and that our students may resent that no matter what race you are. It is about building trust and I believe that happens if students see that you are invested in the distant future and not just the temporary.

    I know my limitations, but I also know that I can find strength in any community and I can use those resources to enrich my classroom and fill those voids that I have due to my many privileges.

    ReplyDelete