Saturday, July 23, 2011

07.21.11 Reflection, Michelle

Thanks, Brie for the presentation!

As for the discussion on dress code, I think English High School is on the right track with including students on the process and collaborating with designers. It's also a great that they are helping families with the cost. I remember when I was in elementary school, they "required" uniforms and it only resulting in displaying clear markers of class because the "rich" parents would send their kids with "regular" clothing while students like myself who didn't come from a wealthy background would, stick out with our uniforms. Looking back, I see how it was a clear marker of economic privilege; and at times I remember feeling a little embarrassed, not wanting to wear my uniform, but there was no other option. Having all students wear then, "levels playing field" so to speak, to not single out students as I experienced. Uniforms does teach student to code switch, and avoid inappropriate clothing such as see-through leggings, or caps and colors that may put students in danger or create distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment