Thursday, July 28, 2011

7.28.11 Class Reflection

Thank you Nathalie for your awesome presentation today! I really enjoyed it. Freire’s discussion of banking education vs. problem-posing education was really interesting to read. I can relate to the banking style of education because I have had a lot of teachers that I can think of whose teaching strategy follows this model. It is disappointing to realize that most of the teachers I have had in the past did follow this model as opposed to problem posing. This reading was also inspiring in that it gave examples of problem-posing education and how beneficial it can be for a students’ development. Though I will be working with elementary age students, I feel hopeful about how this teaching model can shape my classroom and my students’ thinking. The video we watched today about homosexuality also got me excited for having those important conversations with students. The 4th grade students in the video did not questions quite as much as the middle school students, but their comments were still very insightful. I think it will be very important for us to remember when having conversations like these with our students, listening is almost more important than anything else. Most of the teachers in the video posed questions and listened as opposed to just telling students that homosexuality should be accepted. This strategy can go a long way in my opinion and get students to begin thinking critically about the conversations being had.

No comments:

Post a Comment