Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Class Reflection: Tuesday 7/19

I enjoyed the provocative conversations that were beginning to take place on Tuesday’s class. The “Do Now” activity was especially interesting in thinking about how people see oppression operating in the United States, trying to get at the root of the problem. Much like what our guest speaker was reiterating, my thoughts about the issues plaguing this society are greatly influenced by my experiences and interactions with others and literature. I think these types of provocative questions should be explored further because they are the driving force behind how our society operates in contradictory ways.

I appreciate the guest speaker’s honesty in telling his story and giving us insight as to what to pay attention to as we enter into urban schools. Much of the learning we will come to value most over the next year will come from our experiences working in the schools and interacting with children and educators to be able to tangibly access what our conversations have been about. I don’t know what to expect in the coming year, but I will hold onto the importance of “know thyself” and “be relentless”.

No comments:

Post a Comment