Friday, July 22, 2011

C. Aloe- 7/21 Reflection

Ever since class ended on Thursday I have been thinking about the various people from the film, "People Like Us." The segments about food-purchasing and the WASPs stand out the most. In particular, I thought the discussion of bread was the most intriguing. I cannot eat anything with dairy, seafood, or shellfish, so I have to shop at certain places. Yet, while my food allergies are problematic, I have the luxury of buying food from vegan restaurants and smaller grocery stores. So I can only imagine how someone with bad allergies, living in an area devoid of many food options, would make accommodations. Especially because it seems like food allergies are on the rise. Nevertheless, it is important to remember that people who shop at organic food stores may not necessarily do so because they refuse to eat "wonder bread"... maybe they are allergic to the ingredients in "wonder bread." Perhaps this is a bit of a stretch, but if you don't have a food allergy or know someone with a food allergy, then you can't imagine how scary it is to feel your windpipe closing because you're having an allergic reaction.

Just a thought, clearly I'm biased.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that. We need perspective! And everyone is biased.

    ReplyDelete