Thursday, July 21, 2011

Class reflection 7/21

Today's class had a lot of energy! The discussion on saggin', hats, and leggings is obviously a more complex issue than just whether there should be a rule around it or not. Although I did not wear uniforms when I was in school, coming from New Orleans where most schools do require uniforms, I realize the huge benefit they can have. I was very impressed when I heard English High involved students in the uniform decision process, and I went online and did some research. I found this article and really recommend the read: http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/jamaica_plain/2011/05/english_high_to_join_small_num_1.html

While wearing uniforms will most likely get rid of the leggings issue, I'm curious to see how the uniforms either perpetuate saggin' and hats, or if it helps establish a pride in looking "professional." I was really shocked to read the English High is just the fourth public school in Boston to require uniforms. Again, since almost all schools in New Orleans now require uniforms, I'm coming to see uniforms more as a political decision. Looking at the online gallery, I hope the students continue to have pride in the uniform and representing their school. In the charter school I worked at in New Orleans, the students wore uniforms but saggin' was still an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment