Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chris Graham Class Reflection

I was fascinated by the term "code switching" that Dr. Narcisse brought up. He used it to describe how people adapt their language and mannerisms accordingly to fit certain social situations. Personally, I think it is very important to be in touch and proud about who you are and where you come. It is an unfortunate shame that we are not able to simultaneously "fit in" and "be ourselves" in such a homogenous world. "Code switching" reminds me of what one of the characters during The Color of Fear film that Catherine showed us during our last Friday meeting. Loren said "I'm not allowed to work in corporate America as a Black man!" Do you agree with him? I have limited professional experience but from what I've been through during my academic life at Groton and then at BC, yea...you really aren't allowed to be anything other than an imitation of the dominant group.

No comments:

Post a Comment