Thursday, July 28, 2011

Reflection - 7/28 - Roger

Thank you Nathalie for giving us personal recommendations for readings specific to our grade level! I was also impressed by the movie we watched today. Those teachers were great at facilitating conversation about homosexuality, and I think the students showed how much they already know about how people mistreat people who act or look like they could be homosexual. I think I need to trust my students to have a respectful dialogue around a potentially contentious topic. Teachers setting aside time to let students talk about these issues with each other is so important, but from my schooling experience, that doesn't always happen. Instead, media helps spread the ignorance and encourages prejudice. The clips of popular movies like Bill and Ted and Ace Ventura really brought that home to me. Jim Carry's reaction seems funny, but what kind of message is it sending kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment