Wednesday, July 20, 2011

7.19.11 Class Reflection

What I most enjoyed about Dr. Narcisse’s discussion were his references to knowing yourself and how relevant that is in this profession. Everyone has their own social construction, as he mentioned, and knowing this about yourself is really important. What you know, what you have experienced and seen with your own eyes do shape the way you look at the world. Each individual has their own belief system as a result and knowing why you think the way that you do can make a big difference for teachers. My group decided to complete the racial identity development graphs during the last section of class and I think this was a great way to tie up the discussion. When I was making my graph, I was realizing more than ever just how influential my experiences have been in shaping my thinking and my behavior too. For educators, I think this activity is really beneficial in beginning a conversation about beliefs and how they can influence your teaching style and everything that you decide to do in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment