Thursday, July 28, 2011

thoughts on today (dana)

Great job Nathalie and Brie!

'It's Elementary' made me think a lot about how I'm going to talk about homosexuality in my classes. As a high school math teacher, I don't think I'll have that many opportunities to teach lessons on homosexualtiy and I dont think I'm equipped enough to do so. However, if the topic were to ever come up, my emphasis wouldn't be whether I believed homosexulaity was right or wrong. But rather, it would be to treat each other equally and respect each other as we would when we deal with race, gender or even religion.

Our conversations in class also made me think about how I would separate my personal beliefs (on all various topics) and not impose them on my students. As a role model we can easily influence the students. It's scary to think that we have a lot of power in how these students think and we can potentially shape their viewpoints on a lot of issues. And even IF we were to be the positive influences and we could make a difference, my worry is - who's going to follow up with these students? After spending one year with them, after they leave your classroom, who's to say that everything you've worked on won't be ruined by another "bad" teacher? What if I'M the bad teacher? AGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment