Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ian Nifoussi 7/19 Class Reflection

The two bits of wisdom that Dr. Narcisse left us with were (amongst a storied education-based career):

1) Know thy self
2) Be relentless

I appreciate the simplicity in his message. He certainly shared a lot with us in a matter of just over an hour, but his messages were clear and appreciated. I enjoyed how he built his lecture from the easiest place he knew to begin - himself. I also really enjoyed how he was very blunt in saying that he is not in the business of saving children - or something along those lines. I think that some urban educators, and non-urban educators, maintain the belief that they are in the classroom to change lives. I believe, as Dr. N stated, that all we can do as educators is provide tools and opportunities for the children to help themselves.

Some of Dr. Narcisse's lecture spilled over into our small group discussion. I questioned my group about his story regarding the girl at BC who struggled until she found comfort with a group of peers who shared similar racial, ethnic, cultural, etc. backgrounds. Do you agree that this is a good way for black, Latino, Asian, etc. students to find success in predominately white institutions (i.e. schools, businesses, etc.)? Is finding comfort in culturally segregated communities a positive or negative?

**please don't misread my words. I know that as a white, male, heterosexual, middle-class, etc. person my views, experiences, and privileges are different from many - if not all - of the groups in one way or another. But I am throwing out my thoughts so as to learn, not to be chided. I would greatly appreciate a continued conversation on my aforementioned statements or otherwise at any time, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment