Thursday, July 21, 2011

7.21.11 Class Reflection

First of all, thank you Brie for your awesome presentation! You did a great job clarifying those terms and helping me to further understand the readings from today. I appreciate that! In regards to the video that we watched today, I had seen it before in another class, but I think that this time around, I got a different look at it. The first time I had seen it, I remember being really upset and having a hard time understanding how people could speak the way the individuals in the film did. Today, I saw those individuals in a different light and especially when we reflected back on the readings. It reminds me of what Dr. Narcisse talked about on Tuesday-how we all have our own social constructions. Those individuals were speaking the way that they were because that was what they knew, those beliefs were part of their social construction. Obviously, I am not saying that those beliefs should be accepted, but having that perspective allowed me to view this film with a more critical eye instead of just with anger. It does bring up a question for me-after reaching adulthood (I suppose you could say our age) can an individual ever truly change their social construction and their beliefs about race, class, etc?

No comments:

Post a Comment