Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday July 21 Reflection (Kono)

What an interesting class we had. I really appreciated the time and energy that Brie invested in her presentation that was both informative and accessible. I think bringing capital (and the many forms of it) into our conversations will be vital over the last few classes we have. Some of the questions that we began to discuss at the end of class today are ones that I know I will continue to grapple with as I move ahead in my education and preparation and I am interested in the many and diverse perspectives of the rest of the class. In our group today, we talked about the importance of cultural capital over technical skills as sought by employers, or whether cultural capital is an intrinsic personal property or simply a relative sociological marker. I look forward to where our conversation goes from here.

Also, I really enjoyed the movie that we watched today. I had seen it a few times before but took away some very different messages based on the conversations we have had so far and what we have learned about the intersections of race, class, culture, etc. Also, I really like Joe Queenan and if you have not read some his stuff before, I highly recommend you do (if you like satire of that form).

No comments:

Post a Comment