Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thoughts on today (dana)

Some of the statistics from the film 'School: The Story of American Public Ed' was surprising. I couldn't believe only .095% of women in the 1950's had received a medical or law degree and only 30 years later, the percentage changed to 50%. And in 1970, only 1% received an education award and only 7.4% were high school athletes. And the latest statistics show that only 62.1% of females have their associate degree and 57.2% have their bachelor's degree. I'm surprised the percentage has not increased significantly. I initially assumed that more women, if given the priviledge/right, they would take advantage of the opportunities and pursue higher degrees. This makes me wonder if those opportunites have significantly changed since the 50-80's and if sexism still exists. (It probably definitely does...). Regardless of statistics, I'm glad we're on the map towards acheiving higher degrees and gaining more equality. I hope to encourage my students (especially the girls) to dream big and to have goals & amibtions that don't just limit them because of their gender. I can't wait to coach & teach students and empower them to be leaders in the future.... increasing the statistics... here we go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment