Tuesday, July 26, 2011

7/26 Reflection

"What are some strategies for engaging families in the educational process?"

I was really engaged in today's discussion on parental involvement. When thinking about different expectations parents/guardians have of teachers, I'm concerned on how I will know the expectation from each of my students' parents. In our group, we mentioned strategies to encourage parents to see themselves as partners in their child's education and empower them to realize the learning opportunities they provide their student. Yet, I still can't help but think of those parents who do think that the teachers job is to teach and the parent will take care of the home needs. Another topic that was brought up today was the idea of parent university or parent homework. As I was surfing the web today, I found a very interesting post that connects much to what we were discussing today, called Parent Homework Assignment. I really like this idea of asking the parent to share more about their child, but I may add a few more questions, like, what does the parent expects from me.

I highly recommend you taking a look at the "Parent Homework Assignment" below!

LINK:: http://www.nwp.org/cs/public/print/resource/1574



Parent Homework Assignment

Although I call this assignment "parent homework," a title my students love, it is really more an invitation, one nearly every parent is delighted to receive:

Dear Parents and Guardians,
I assign a variety of projects at the beginning of the semester that give me the opportunity to get to know your sons and daughters, but I would like to know more. I would like to ask for your help. Please tell me about your son or daughter. Is there something about your child that you would like me to know? Something that, if I knew, would help me reach him/her sooner or more effectively? Is there a way for me to see the "real" person? What are your concerns, fears, and dreams for your child? I value your response in any form-list, letter, poem, story, pictorial-you decide. Thank you for taking the time to answer this letter. Your son or daughter will receive extra credit for your efforts.

Sincerely,

Mary Buckelew

No comments:

Post a Comment