Sunday, July 31, 2011

C. Aloe- 7/28 Reflection

The film, "It's Elementary" brought fourth many reactions about teaching GLBTQ issues in the classroom. After viewing the film my small group members and I tried to look past our personal beliefs to determine the best approach to discussing issues presented in the film with our future students. One key point I tried to make was that we will teach in public schools, therefore we must remember separation of church and state. As such, approaching GLBTQ-related topics from a moral standpoint should be avoided. I believe that it's possible to advocate for GLBTO populations through having intentional conversations with our students. Along with that, I think our cohort needs to maintain the same openness and willingness to make mistakes when discussing both race and GLBTQ-related topics. To be true advocates for positive change means to support all oppressed populations, not just those oppressed because of race.

No comments:

Post a Comment