Sunday, July 24, 2011

7/21 Class Reflection

First of all, let me just say that with all the reflecting going on these days one would think that I would remember to post some thoughts after class. Clearly, I have to slow down and post with a bit more punctuality next time. Last Thursdays class focused on cultural and social capital and Brie gave a wonderful overview of the concepts that drive this type of thinking. Way to go Brie "the game" metaphor was very helpful! I had never before heard the concept of a 'food desert' and went on to explore this urban reality further. The video also proved to fortify all of the notions I have been dealing with lately regarding class and culture within the U.S. At times I found myself becoming embarrassed for those in the "upper class" discussing portraits and polo. I wish there was a way to align the extremely diverse social constructs that exist within our nation so that we can focus on the same topics in hopes of creating a better democracy. Some care about urban education while others care about attending the correct parties in the Hamptons.

How can we discuss the idea of social and cultural capitol with our students without making them feel discouraged and behind in the "the game?" What are the best ways to present these ideas and how do we talk about them as obstacles in which to overcome instead of real world realities to simply deal with? Teaching students to access Delpit's "culture of power" is one thing, but can we, as teachers, give our students more value? Is there a way to increase their cultural capitals from within the classroom. Also, can one be lacking cultural capital, or do we all simply have different cultural capital? These are some questions I discussed with my small group. I look forward to discussing these issues further in these last weeks of class.

No comments:

Post a Comment