Thursday, July 28, 2011

Maria Valarezo's 7/28 Reflection

Hello fellow Donovans,

I am so happy that we viewed the video "It's Elementary." Also, I would like to give Nathalie a huge round of applause! She is honestly a TRUE scholar and will be a wonderful teacher... She knows so much and I am so blessed to learn from her.

Once again, the conversations that occurred in our small group were spectacular. It was great to hear the perspectives of Brian and Brad and what they have experienced in their high school days. I also think that we all learned that there is a way to ensure that children in our classroom can learn about gays and lesbians in appropriate ways. For instance, I mentioned that I would read children's literature that speaks to the experiences of gay and lesbian families... I also recommended that Kevin (who is a history education major) to teach about Harvey Milk and the gay rights movement in his classes. Furthermore, I told Melissa that she consider having her students write essays about pressing social issues in Spanish, so that they can develop as critical thinkers and augment their proficiency in Spanish... I feel that it is definitely possible to incorporate teaching about the LGBT experience, regardless of the age group.

Have a great weekend, and be well,

Maria

1 comment:

  1. Just a note, I did not come out until college so I had no high school experience.

    ReplyDelete