Monday, July 25, 2011

Facilitation Questions for 7/26: Chuks

1.) Growing up, I was often told by peers and adults that my handwriting was "neat and organized" like a girl's. Also, due to the level of depth and overall quality in my papers, I was regularly praised for "not writing like a typical guy." In hindsight, I do not know how such euphemistically-sexist remarks did not damage my academic performance in school. I somehow managed not to internalize these statements as me failing to fit society's hegemonic role for males. In a nutshell, Thomas Newkirk urges us to be mindful of how we label writing differences, specifically in regards to gender. In many ways, people who assess writing (both style and content) this way propagate the notion that boys' writing is inferior to girls' and poses much concern. Do you agree with this idea or do you think the underlying issue is not as socially-embedded as Newkirk suggests?

2.) Annette Lareau's piece made me realize that too often, teachers and school officials impulsively blame parents for their lack of physical and emotional involvement in their children's school lives. What some fail to take into consideration, though, are the various circumstances that may inhibit parental involvement. Some parents work multiple jobs around the clock, some did not finish school themselves and may feel intimidated by being in a school atmosphere, and others may not have a means of transportation. Schools like the Fuller Middle School in Framingham, MA have improved over the years by actively seeking out parents (i.e. - busing families to evening school functions) and fostering relationships with them. Examples like this reinforce my belief that collaboration between schools and parents is a vital ingredient towards creating academic success. With that said, what are some other ways that this bridge can be formed?

No comments:

Post a Comment