Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Maria Valarezo's 7/26 Class Reflection

Howdy everyone!!

I am so glad that all of you got to see the third part of the "School" video. It is actually one of my favorite historical education documentaries. On that note, as I mentioned in class, I highly recommend that you view the second part which talks about John Dewey's views on education and how he impacted schools. This part also mentions about how white immigrants were cheated by schools.... Again, we have to realize that institutions have also been unfair to poor whites and white immigrants (in the past).

In our group, we had a loaded discussion about underachievement. We emphasized how crucial it is to have a special, positive relationship with the students early on... Even before we provide them with curriculum that inspires them and confirms to them that they are capable. As I said, "The Latina student is not going to care about Sandra Cisneros' book unless you have a relationship with her in the first place." We also talked about how messages of underachievement can reach the youngest of students as well and the importance of convincing them that they can achieve early on!!

We are all capable of doing this, especially us Donovans who are of color! I know I'm ready! : D

Sincerely,

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment