Sunday, July 24, 2011

7/21 Class Reaction

Why and how was my cultural capital different than my peers, let alone my own siblings, where the home and school environments were practically similar, but the traveled educational path differ? This was the lasting thought I had in my mind during and after Thursday's class. I, we, am all clearly products of our surroundings, where we are placed on a playing field, with some having better positions than the other.

It is not a privilege that should be shamed or wrongfully exploited to succeed, but one that should be utilized in the fullest potential; it is what you do what that privilege to help yourself and others that's key. Bourdieu says that "at each moment, anyone can become anything," but translated in the real world, "everything is not equally possible or impossible" for everyone. As urban school educators, I believe it is important for us to find that gray medium between these two mentalities and apply it towards our students. Not to set them up for false promises or further deter their aspirations (adding to any outside hindering them already) but to prepare them about the rules of the real world and the tools to change the rules of the real world so they can succeed, regardless of black, white or gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment