Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Brian's Class Reflection - 19 July 2011

Dr. Sito Narcisse, the headmaster of The English High School, really made some very pertinent points in bridging the cultural and academic learning. I was fortunate in my student teaching to have a school that very much incorporated both in both utilizing the resources of the public library and the whole school taking the 't' to get to our destination. I fully agreed with his mission statement in teaching children to save themselves in the hopes of using those tools in their communities. Also of most importance in his lecture was to "know thyself". This is important as a teacher, to see the long-term goals of your students as echoed in the passages. And it is alright to not know yourself at this moment, we have each other to lean on for support in finding our educational and life identity. Finally, I was intrigued about his stance on uniforms. I had not heard that it allows for codeswitching and I found it a very interesting perspective. Overall I enjoyed this lecture and really felt honored to hear his perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment